Decluttering with a Yard Sale
One of the most commonly recommended things to do when you are moving is to declutter. After all, decluttering can save you time and money as there are not as many things being moved. If you don’t need it, then why move this? This is the idea of many people for good reason. While you can donate many of those things that you no longer need, why not make a little money with this? Instead, opt to have a yard sale! And we have a few tips that can ensure you have success!
- Always advertise this yard sale! Many local newspapers have sections in which they will print locations of upcoming yard sales. However, be sure to use social media as well, as social media may hit even more people.
- While it may seem like a good idea to have this yard sale on a holiday weekend, most professionals warn against this. They suggest having this on a non-holiday weekend.
- Expect some early birds at your yard sale, as everyone gets these. If you are serious about no early birds be sure to note this when advertising your yard sale.
- Try to have a yard sale after you know everyone in the area has gotten paid. You will find that this is going to be the time when you make the most money!
- Start planning for your yard sale as soon as possible. You will want to ensure that you are pricing each individual item with clear numbering. You don’t want any confusion.
- If you are sitting up the yard sale on the grass, ensure this grass has been cut recently but not so much in that people will be walking through the clippings.
- Be sure to keep your pets away from the yard sale. Dogs can be intimidating even if they are truly the sweetest dog in the world.
- Be sure to look through all your items and remove personal information. For example, several people have used receipts in books as bookmarkers, this is not information that you want complete strangers to have.
- Try to play some music while people are browsing the yard sale. This can be great in making feel relaxed and could result in more sales!
- Is the weather hot out? If so, make a little extra money by selling some lemonade or cold beverages to those who stop.
After your yard sale is done, you will find that you have made a dent in the items that you need to move. So, you can consider this a success!