Moving Day: How to Transport the American Flag
Memorial Day has just passed, however, that does not mean that flying the American Flag is out the window. Many people choose to fly these in their front yards, or display these in their homes if they have had a loved one to perish who served in the military. When these people decide to move, to show respect and to protect the flag, there are certain aspects they will need to do.
Folding the Flag
One of the best ways to transport a flag during any move is to properly fold this. To properly fold a flag there are several online tutorials that can be seen. However, the steps are:
- Stretch the flag out between two people.
- Fold the flag in half lengthwise, stripes over the stars.
- Fold in half again, keeping the stars on the outside.
- Beginning at the striped end, make a triangle fold.
- Continue making a triangle fold until the ends are reached.
- Tuck the edges into the triangle to secure the flag.
Place into a Case
Placing the flag into a case after folded is a great option. There are specific cases made for holding flags that you can purchase. These cases are going to help protect the flag from the elements, while still allowing the flag to be seen. You will want to pack this in a box with plenty of cushion and mark this fragile to avoid any accidents. In addition, be sure that this box is not going to be in any harsh conditions for an extended period as this can damage the fabric.
A Long Distance Move
Another option that many people utilize when they are moving a long distance is to roll the flag. This is a great option when you plan on flying this flag at your new home, as folding can leave permanent creases. To do this:
- Place the flag on a flat service.
- Cover this with acid free paper
- Roll, starting from the end away from the stars, smoothing out creases as you go along.
- Place this inside of a mailing tube for protection.
For those who are moving, this does not mean leaving behind the flag. With these tips, you can easily pack up your flag so it can be flown at your new home!