5 Tips for Painting Before or After a MovePosted on: Wednesday, April 25th, 2018
What is one of the first things that you may do when moving into a new home? Or one of the last things you do after moving out of a home? Paint! A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for making your old home more attractive to those who may be looking to purchase it. It can also go a long way in making you feel more comfortable in a new home. With this being said, we have a few tips that can be used when you have decided to paint your new or old home!
An Important Note
Here is one important note that everyone needs to remember: if you are painting your old home to make this more attractive to buyers on the market, remember to go with neutral colors. This is not the time to showcase your personal style. However, if you are painting your new home, go wild with color if you desire. The more neutral colors in a home can help it sell, and for those who are moving before selling their home, they may be on a strict time schedule with hopes of selling their home sooner rather than later!
Tips for Painting
There are several tips that you can utilize for painting, however, if you want this to look as professional as possible, we recommend using the methods that professionals use!
- Be sure to use a “W” motion rather than up and down or side to side. This creates a more consistent pattern and an overall smoother finish.
- Always start with cutting the corners and edges, then paint the walls.
- Don’t overload your brush or roller with paint as this can make the paint thick and make it take longer to dry.
- Let paint dry overnight before applying a second coat.
- Use the method of putting all your paint into a larger container. This way, you won’t see a difference in the tone or shade of the paint when it is applied to the walls.
Remember, painting your home is best done when there is no furniture present. Those few days that it takes the professionals to move in your furniture, can be a great time to paint the walls of your new home.