6 Tips to Help with a Dorm Move InPosted on: Monday, August 20th, 2018
It is that time of year again when many kids are leaving home to live in their college dorms. It can be a stressful time, but also exciting. For parents, they are watching their kids grow up and become adults. For kids, they may be getting their first dose of freedom in living away from their parents. Many parents may opt to help their student move into their dorm, however, other parents find it easier to hire professional movers to move those large items, and they simply go along to see their kid getting into his or her college dorm room for the first time. Whatever you decide, there are some move in day tips that can help you make the most of this experience!
- Wear comfortable clothing! Yes, for students who are new to the college it can be hard not to dress to impress…but everyone is going to be wearing comfortable clothing as the moving process is not easy. Remember closed toe shoes are a must!
- Prepare for the weather! Be sure to check what type of weather you can expect on move in day and make any changes that you may need to make.
- It may be crowded on the day you move in, traffic may be lined up around the parking lots, be prepared to deal with this traffic.
- Be sure that you have your dorm keys and the door unlocked before you start unpacking or having the movers do this for you. There is nothing worse than having to sit everything down to unlock a door.
- Be sure to clean your dorm room good before putting together all your things. This way you are starting the year out right.
- Remember to unpack everything that is functional first, so that you are ready for your first night at college!