7 Ideas for Making your New Home Pet FriendlyPosted on: Friday, March 8th, 2019
Moving with a pet is not as easy as most people would think. Those who have pets, understand this. They are a member of the family, and since they do not understand why you are moving, you have to be inventive when it comes to the actual move. This may mean taking them for long car rides, so they are used to the time they will be cooped up in a cage while moving, perhaps even bribing them with a new toy for their obedience while movers are at your home. With this being said, here are 7 ideas that can help to get your new home ready for your pet so that they do feel at home!
- Be sure to check out the areas that you may not see for hidden dangers. How can you do this? Get on all fours and look at the new house as though you are your pet. This way you are going to see if there is anything that could be dangerous to your pet!
- Have a designated space for your pet at their new home. Be sure to put their beds, toys, water dish and food in this area. Having a space to call their own helps many pets adjust to the move better.
- Double check that windows have screens in them to discourage your pet from wanting to leap out of the open window!
- Consider putting a gate on the stairs to keep pets from going upstairs if you are worried about how they will handle these stairs or if you just want to get them used to the downstairs first. This is especially important for pets that may be a bit older.
- How is your flooring? You may want to consider the carpet as something that you are going to have to replace with hardwood or laminate to avoid accidents, especially if you have young pets.
- Be aware of kitchen safety. Don’t leave knives or other dangerous materials too close to the edge as an inquisitive dog or cat can easily pull these off.
- Be sure to follow safety rules for yourself. While you are unpacking you may be in a rush and instead of washing your hands after handling the litter box, you rush on to your next task.
For those who are moving soon and need professional help, Dunmar Moving is here to be of assistance!