The Art of the Moving ChecklistPosted on: Tuesday, September 8th, 2020
Having a moving checklist seems simple enough. However, what most people do not realize is that this moving checklist can be their life line during this hectic time! For those who hire professional movers, the movers themselves are going to be physically moving the boxes, so that is one less worry that they have. But, the moving checklist is still going to be something that you need to keep!
The Purpose of the Moving Checklist
The purpose of the moving checklist is to ensure that everything, and we mean everything, is taken care of. While many people use this checklist to make sure that their items are loaded into the right boxes, or the like. It can also be used for all the other things that you need to get done because you are moving. For example, scheduling a cleaner to arrive at your old home and your new home, making sure that you change your address for your mail, or even putting on your list to make sure that the kids current records are being sent to their new school. The list is meant to organize your entire move!
5 Tips for Making a Moving Checklist that Works
For those who are moving, we don’t suggest just having one sheet of paper to handle it all. In fact, we often see people with entire notebooks or even binders devoted to their list. Here are a few tips that have helped several others complete their move on time and without as much stress.
- Keep the list organized. This is why having a binder is ideal. Have sections that are marked for the actual move, things to do before the move, and what to handle after the move.
- Leave space between each note that you take for additional notes, such as you tried to do this but you need to call them by a certain date to confirm, and the like.
- Don’t leave home without it! Keep this with you during a move. Many people opt to keep this with their briefcase, purse, in their vehicle or on their desk so that they always know where to find it.
- Start making your list as soon as you know that you are moving. This way you are less likely to forget anything when the move is happening.
- Always keep a pencil or pen with you! You will be surprised when you need to add to this list. So, be sure that you have these on hand. For example, you may find that you are walking out to your car from the bank and realize you need to make sure that you change your checks to reflect your new address.
For those who are moving, these lists may seem like they are a lot of work to start with, but they keep you grounded during the move and organized!