Which Tape to Use When MovingPosted on: Wednesday, November 21st, 2018
When anyone is preparing for a move, they remember that they need tons of boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap and labels for their boxes. However, does anyone pay attention to the type of tape that they are using? Not many people do, they simply get a roll of tape and hope for the best. The problem is that the type of tape that you use is going to dictate just how well your boxes are going to stay together once taped. Let’s take a look at your options!
What are your options?
When you to the store, you are going to be amazed at just how many options you have when it comes to the tape that you get. These options include:
- Shipping tape
- Storage tape
- Masking tape
- Cellophane tape
- Duct tape
There are many more, but most people think of these five options for moving their home.
Which is best?
Each type of type on the market is going to be meant for a specific job. This is why you need to pay attention to what you are getting.
- Shipping tape is considered a hot melt adhesive. Meaning that when you use this on boxes, it often doesn’t come undone when moving from one point to another. This is one of the best tapes to get for those who are moving!
- Storage tape is meant to last up to 10 years on a box. While it is strong and durable, it is not recommended for moving. This is great for those boxes that you may be putting into a storage unit though!
- Making tape is not meant to be placed on a box, a it is not going to hold. However, it can come in handy when taping together forks and spoons that you place into a box. It is pretty easy to remove and often leaves no residue.
- Cellophane tape also known as scotch tape. While this tape has a place as it is great for wrapping holiday gifts, it really has no business in the moving process!
- Duct tape…what is there to say about duct tape except that it is something that almost everyone keeps on hand. It can be used in a pinch, but it not really meant to handle boxes that are going to be opened and broke down again in a few days.
For those who are moving, be sure that when packing you use the proper tape. Not having the proper tape could result in your boxes becoming less sturdy and making the moving process even more stressful.