Your Checklist for Move-In DayPosted on: Tuesday, January 12th, 2021
Move-in day is finally here, but do you have everything that you need to do mentally calculated? Or written down somewhere? When most people think about moving, they think of the stress that comes with packing, loading, having the items delivered, then unpacking and getting everything settled. It can be overwhelming. After all, moving is one of those tasks that most people rank pretty high on their list of things that they would rather not do. The key to making this less stressful is having a professional mover like Dunmar Moving, handle your move, and also having a list of to-do items that you can easily check off and keep yourself more organized.
While there are tons of things to do during the days leading up to the move, and during the day that professionals are loading your items, do you know what to do on the day that your items arrive at your new home and you start to move into this home? Here are the top 10 things to have on your move-in day checklist:
- Check the utilities! Make sure that they are on and working properly. This should be done asap so that if you have to call these companies they are going to respond in a timely manner.
- Sort the boxes that are coming into the home. The good news is that if you wrote on the boxes which room they go to, the professionals are going to drop these into their designated locations.
- Unpack the essentials. The essentials are going to be items like bedding, toiletries, cleaning supplies and the like. To make this easier, be sure that you marked this box as essential items or kept it loaded with you.
- Give your home a quick clean just to get rid of any dirt or debris that was brought in while the items were moved into your home. When the home is clean, it makes unpacking that much easier.
- Check in with people who are eager to here that you are now at your new home and safe. You can opt to make a social post or just text those who are close to you.
- If you have pets, take the time to get them adjusted to this new home. Make sure that they have their water, food and their bedding to make them feel at home.
- You are going to be exhausted so be sure that you get your bed ready before anything else.
- Eat a good dinner. Order takeout so you don’t have to worry about unpacking and going to the grocery today. Remember, you are not going to be good at cleaning or unpacking if you are so hungry that you are angry!
- Take a shower after eating so that you can better prepare for bed. A shower can be a relaxing way to wind down from the day and it will help you rest better.
- Take a deep breath. Remember, you don’t have to unpack every single box on the day that you move in to your new home. In fact, you probably shouldn’t! After all, you want to do this methodically and correctly, if you rush you are going to have issues later!